We will use:
- Montessori and Socratic teaching methods to encourage critical thinking and self mastery
- The latest in educational gaming to deliver reading, writing and math skills tailored to individual learning styles
- Apprenticeship assignments to teach real world skills
- Examples from the "great books" to promote a deep understanding of the human condition
- “Running partner” relationships to develop the interpersonal skills of listening, affirming, and holding others accountable.
- Time reserved for mindful spiritual development, the arts and outdoor activities
- Extensive testing of skill levels, learning styles, aptitudes; personality traits and desires
- Visit our Student Website to see what is happening in the classroom.
Leadership Training for Fifth Graders
Acton Academy's fifth graders who have successfully achieved their academic goals gain the privilege of embarking a journey in leadership training. Under the guidance of Ms. Kaylie, the core curriculum teacher, these students will take on leadership responsibilities within the school including greeting students at the beginning of the day as they arrive, selecting articles for group discussions, leading Socratic discussions and creating and managing community service projects for the school. Learn more about our Leadership Training program.
Sharing Callings and Hero's Journeys
Find out about the heroes who have shared their stories and callings with us.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
George Sammur, Apache Helicopter Pilot for the U.S. Army, February 2011
"There are many fine schools and Acton Academy is among them. Yet, few take on the added responsibility of teaching intellectual independence; recognizing unique gifts and tailoring to them; working to teach each student not to average of the class, but to the top of their ability; teaching achievement over conformity; building community around substantial ideas and ethics; and teaching each student that they are on their own, brave journey. As a parent I heard the promise and I see the outcome. Acton Academy delivers on its mission. Every day I am happy and excited to know that my child is doing something great, interesting or enjoyable with a sense of purpose."
Simon, parent of Acton Academy student